What is an RSS feed?
RSS or Really Simple Syndication is a means for content publishers to provide news, blogs, and other content to subscribers. Using tools such as Outlook 2007, Internet Explorer 7.0, and Google Reader, to name a few, users are able to subscribe to content that interests them. Using RSS, publishers can provide the latest information and updates to subscribers automatically.
How do I access RSS feeds?
In order to access RSS content, you will need an RSS reader. These readers are software that automatically gather and display RSS feeds. There are several free and commercial RSS readers available for download. Some Web browsers, including Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Firefox 2.0, include built-in RSS readers. RSS feeds may also be read with Microsoft Outlook 2007.
How do I subscribe to the IU Simon Cancer Center's RSS feeds?
|Topic||Copy RSS URLs to Reader||RSS|
|IUSCC News Releases||http://cancer.iu.edu/news/rss|
- View one of our feeds in your RSS reader.
- Copy the URL in the table above that corresponds to the topic that interests you.
- Paste the URL into your reader.
- View our feeds in Microsoft Outlook 2007.
- Under the "Mail Folders" section of Outlook 2007, you will see a new folder named "RSS Feeds".
- Right-click this folder to open a menu, which will allow you to "Add A New RSS Feed..."
- A window (like the one below) will be displayed allowing you to copy and paste an RSS URL from the table above.
- View our feeds in Internet Explorer version 7.0 and higher.
- Browse to the RSS URL that interests you from the table above.
- You are then taken to the RSS news page where you can click on the link at the top of the page to "Subscribe to this feed."
- Once you have subscribed, Internet Explorer places the RSS feed conviently next to your favorites and history, which you can access by clicking on the star icon in your browser.
- You will then have access to the most up-to-date news from the IU Simon Cancer Center at the touch of a button.
- View our feeds directly from your desktop using the Microsoft Vista Operating System.
- The new Windows Vista Sidebar feature allows you to add "Gadgets" to your desktop. One of these gadgets is called a "Feed Headlines" gadget.
- Right-click the Vista Sidebar and select "Add Gadgets."
- Locate the Feed Headlines gadget and drag/drop this gadget to your desktop. This Feed Headlines gadget will automatically display any RSS feeds that you have subscribed to with Internet Explorer. You can right-click on this gadget to set/modify the display options.